La Grande halle (great hall) at la Villette, formerly known as « the cattle market hall » was added to the « Supplementary Inventory of Historical Monuments » in 1979. It is the only building in the whole slaughterhouse complex still standing in its original location. Covering a surface area of 20,000 m², it was built between 1865 and 1867 by architect Jules de Mérindol, a student of Victor Baltard.
After the slaughterhouses were closed on March 15th 1974, la Grande Halle was converted into an exhibition and cultural events centre by architects Philippe Robert and Bernard Reichen (between 1983 and 1985). The state-funded management company EPPGHV, has been responsible for the management of the "Grande Halle" and the cultural events programme since 1993. Additional renovation work was carried out by the same architects between 2005 and 2007. Modifications were made to meet current safety regulations, and a new reception area, bookshop and restaurant were added.